Saturday, June 21, 2008

Kuranda - Train and Skyrail

Today we had a low key excursion to Kuranda. We took the train to the village, had 4 hours there, then took the Skyrail back. The train ride was very nice - 15 tunnels, lots of scenery and a great ride. At one stop we could get out for 10 minutes at a scenic overlook and across the river was the Skyrail. The sight of how high it was got someone very nervous to the point of thinking she might not want to do that.
The village was nice, but an obvious tourist town. Mary found that the farther you walked into town the lower the prices. She bought quite a few souvenirs; I bought a new leather belt for myself. We took a scenic walk back to the main station and, near our appointed time, boarded the Skyrail. The views were great! After the first station I switched seats with Mary so my left knee would not be bruised too badly as she gripped it. But during later segments, she relaxed a bit and enjoyed the trip, altho with the high winds, I every time I moved I was told to sit still to keep the gondola from rocking.
So all in all a pleasant, quiet day with cool sightseeing.
Tomorrow we have no excursions planned. We're planning to attend Trinity Lutheran here in Cairns, about 2 km from our hotel. For being the in the "Bible belt" of Australia there sure are not many churches! Their only service is at 8:00 so it will be an early morning.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Yess!!!! , I learn't all by myself how to comment on your post .
The last comment worked , clever me, ha .
I wish I was there with you both at the Daintree , sounded like a nice day .
I hope your leg wasn't too bruised ,ha
Pat

Katie said...

Somehow I'm not surprised Mom was a bit fearful (to say the least) on something called Skyrail!! I still recall my 8th grade class trip when she freaked out on a log ride because there was a hill.... In that sense, I'm definitely not my mother's daughter! :-)