Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bridge Climb!

Today was my bridge climb.  It was very cool and I'm glad I took the Discovery Tour instead of the traditional one.  The traditional tour walks up the top steel on one side of the bridge and back on the other side.  That's like walking up an 8' wide sidewalk.  The Discover Tour, on the other hand, has you walking on the lower catwalks below the span and you walk next to the steel and granite, close enough to touch it.  Near the top you climb ladders from the lower steel to the top as you can see in this picture
The climb was quite exhilarating.  While they took individual pictures, there was lots of time to just lean back against the rail and take in the view.  I'm glad the winds dies down a bit.  In morning when Mary and I were headed to the Opera House, they were around 80 km/hr (50 mph) but by the afternoon they were half that speed. 
The guide took lots of nice pictures, but their pricing was exorbitant so I just bought one of me and got a free group picture. 
So it was a wonderful thing to do once, but not something I'm likely to do again. 

No comments: