Friday, June 27, 2008

Australian Currency

This the first vacation where we've had to deal with foreign currency.  Previously on cruises, everyone took US $ so we did not have to exchange money.  Australia has very colorful currency and some unusual coinage which took some getting used to.
The coins are arranged highest to least value as you go down the picture.
  • no pennies
  • smallest bill is a $5
  • the bills are different sizes
  • no quarters: 5, 10, 20, 50 cent pieces in ascending size
  • the $2 coin is smaller that the $1 coin
It just seems so weird to get any change under $5 as coins.  Mary and I keep building up lots of value in coins since the $2 coins are so small and you get lots of them.
Anyhow I thought you might enjoy seeing what the currency looks like.
I do want commend my Charles Schwab representative - he was very helpful in suggesting I open a Schwab Bank account since they have very favorable exchange fees.  I just used the debit card as a credit card for all our expenses and I could do ATM withdrawals to obtain Australian currency.  At one airport purchase they wanted to do the exchange for us, but by having them charge me in Australian$ we saved $5 on a $110 purchase. 

No comments: