Monday, June 17, 2024

Halifax

Today was our third time to visit Halifax.  We visited the famous Peggy's Cove on our last two so we skipped that this year and took a ride on a sailboat. 

But first, we slept in a bit, went to breakfast, I came in second (again!) at Sudoku, and then we went ashore. Mary did some shopping in the markets on the dock while I trekked to the HMCS Sackville.  I like to visit this ship each time we come to Halifax since it is nearly identical to the ship my dad sailed in the Pacific during WWII.   It was a full mile to the ship so I got in a very good walk.  

After we had lunch (burgers on the Lido deck -- which always brings back fond memories of Mary's dad because this was one of his favorite things to do on a cruise ship), we headed out for our shore excursion.  It was a short walk to the ship for a very leisurely and relaxing boat ride along the coast of Halifax.  We had great weather - sunny, 70's, with a modest wind. 
Our boat, the Silva, is on the left with Mary and I on board on the right.  It was a 3 masted schooner than had 4 sails when all were raised up.  
The objective of the cruise was to see some of the pretty homes along the Halifax waterfront.  Mary got some great pictures of them and I selected the one on the left as an example.  
When it came time to raise the sails, I volunteered to help. It was quite a bit of work, but I did get the mainsail fully raised.  All in all, it was great 2 hours spent on the water.

Dinner tonight was pretty good.  I thought I'd post pictures of our desserts, Mary's on the left and mine on the right.

Tomorrow is another sea day as we head to Boston.

3 comments:

Nancy Howard said...

Good adventures today and beautiful dessert. Great pictures especially the house.

Claudia Crawford said...

Just caught up on your adventure - looks like another great cruise and I am very envious of your cool temperatures. I would like to do that cruise too, have always wanted to depart from New York and go by the Statue of Liberty. Looks like you had the dining room to yourselves at breakfast on your Newport day. Enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

How exciting to sail on that ship and to raise the sails too Bill . An exciting little cruise ...... Nice homes along the shore too it seems .. So glad you saw the war ship again Bill and Marys dessert was so cute , Enjoy the weather and cruise oh and keep trying with Sudoku and you will win ha Pat