Saturday, September 5, 2026

Cruise Day 12 - Inside Passage

Today we cruised the Inside Passage south from Ketchikan. Lots of scenery on both sides of the ship. Above is a panorama photo off the front of the ship showing the scenery. The picture came out a bit small, but click on it to make it larger.

Most cruise ships go west of Vancouver Island as they journey between the lower 48 and Ketchikan.  But we were fortunate to be traveling on the east side of the island, which is known as the Inside Passage since it is in protected waters rather that open ocean. This map picture was taken from our room TV.  It shows you the narrow passages we sailed though. This also means smoother sailing.  😀

One thing that we love about this cruise itinerary - it goes to ports and places the usual itineraries skip.  You won't experience this on your typical 7 day Alaska cruise!

At lunch today, Holland hosted a Cake Extravaganza with 16 different cakes - see list on the left. 
On the right you can see the serving line with all the cakes.  I can assure you the cakes tasted as good as they look!
Diner tonight was in the Italian specialty restaurant.  It was very nice with excellent service.  On the left was a very unique presentation of tiramisu.   I enjoyed a chocolate hazelnut tart dessert.
We had an Irish Dance production show tonight.  We both agreed this was the best show on this cruise.  The dancers were great and the show had good flow from one song to another.

Tomorrow we visit Nanaimo on Vancouver Island as we prepare for the last day of this cruise. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love your itinerary -- it's absolutely so different than your normal Alaska cruise. Those cakes all look delicious, what a great idea. Which did you choose? I might have skipped the lunch and just had cake! I also love that they had Irish Dancers, how fun. From what I've seen of your blog posts, Holland America does a very good job in all aspects of the cruise (except maybe the small rooms). It looks like they've taken good care of you!

Anonymous said...

Such a great dessert presentation yum!! Such a great trio & scenery!!

Bill said...

Cakes - I had a slice of Cookies and Cream and one of Chocolate Fudge. Mary went for Salted Carmel Choco

Anonymous said...

The inside passage is beautiful . I have seen it on our Get Away show on tv , so glad you got to see it . The cakes look yum , glad you enjoyed . I like one on the list . Heaven and Hell cake ha ha . Enjoy the time left

Anonymous said...

Pat

Anonymous said...

It would be hard to choose from all those cakes! Love the pic of the chefs and display of all the cakes!
Viewing your pics of mountains and water have been a nice escape! Keep sharing them! We’re into 20 plus days of 100° temps here so far!
Kathy

Anonymous said...

What was heaven and hell cake? Were the cakes you had good? Was there a limit as to how many you could get?

Nancy Howard said...

The cake sections looks very good. Glad you traveled the inside passage. It's nice to have a different view. Dinner sounded so good too! The dancing and songs you saw sounded like a great show too!