Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Day 7 - Train to Denver Part I

Today we enjoyed day two of our train trip  as we traveled from Glenwood Springs to Denver.  Overall, this trip exceeded our expectations in scenery, service, and food!  Being on the train, we often were in areas that had no roads, so we were seeing scenery that was brand new to us.  This was especially true today as the train did not follow I-70 once we got past Dotsero, CO.


The 12 mile stretch through Glenwood Canyon is the main reason we booked this trip.  After driving through the canyon for 15 years and saying "I wonder what it looks like from the train", thankfully Rocky Mountaineer starting servicing this route a few years ago on their Red Rocks to Rockies route.
Upon leaving Glenwood Springs, we immediately entered Glenwood Canyon.  
Here are four pictures that  show the river, cliffs, and I-70 roadway that was especially engineered to blend in with the canyon and provided minimal disruption to the esthetics.

For those of you who want to see more, check out my album Glenwood Canyon by Train which has about 50 pictures I took as the train passed through the canyon.  

More to come tomorrow as I post about the rest of our day in Part II.  It's been  long day and I want to do justice to what I post about this wonderful trip.

Tomorrow is our travel day back home with a direct afternoon flight back to Detroit.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scenery! Always interesting to get a different perspective of an area.
Safe travels home.
Gail

Anonymous said...

Wow Bill , beautiful ..... So glad you both enjoyed . Thanks for taking us along with you . Take care , Pat

Pescado Amarillo said...

Hello! Just got caught up on your travels. It was fun to see you were in our part of the country. We take the train to Glenwood Springs and spend a few days at least once a year in the fall and again after a heavy snow if we time it right. I enjoyed reading about your travels and seeing your pics!