Monday, October 15, 2018

Heading Home

The forecast was sunny but c-c-cold for Independence Pass today (it was 13 in Aspen at 8 am!) so we started our journey home after the Goodbye Again (the last JD event each year) when the temperature in Aspen had reached a balmy 25.
As a side note, we have seen quite a few deer this trip.  We saw 4 coming back from Snowmass Chapel Sunday morning, a doe and two fawns on the road to the Maroon Bells, and Mary spotted another deer while coming back from The Grottos on Saturday.  No bear sightings this year, but we saw a news article saying that a mom and 3 cubs entered a shopping mall in Snowmass via an automatic door.  I bet that made a few people freak out!





The road to Independence Pass was a bit icy, but very passable with very little traffic.  The car only slipped a few times which got a noticeable reaction from my passenger.  The rest of the time she was busy taking dozens of photos as it was absolutely beautiful with the snow.  Since it was a chilly 13 degrees, we only got out for a few minutes at the Pass to take pictures there.  Once across the pass, the road was dry and it was easy to drive down the other side to Leadville for our traditional lunch at the Golden Burro.
We stopped at the Red Rocks trading post to visit the John Denver Spirit statue.   It was nice to see it again.

This is probably my last post for this trip since tomorrow is just our flight home.  Thank you for your comments and replies.  I'm glad you enjoyed these posts. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics Mary! I can see that it was a gorgeous drive over the pass.
I bet you both were missing Mack this trip and especially for the Sunday church service.
Hope the flight home is uneventful!
Any hints of next year's entertainment?
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to get over the pass even with a little ice. Nice picture of you in the snow! Thanks again for the posts. They are much appreciated!
Gail

Warren said...

Sounds like a great trip! Your little girl will be glad you are home. I told her today but I bet I'll have to remind her tomorrow...LOL! She was loudly meowing today saying its time for them to be home! If I had been in your passenger seat I think I'd have gotten out & walked! That mountain road looked icy! Ha! Have a safe flight home...see ya soon! ~Sylvia

Anonymous said...

I think I missed this blog , beautiful photo , so pretty there in snow . Thanks for the blogs . Pat